Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What Is Family?

"Blood is thicker than water"  This saying exemplifies why families stick together.  Where your loyalty are supposed to lie.  Yes, I believe that families should stick together, even though this particular saying has never applied to me....after all no one I know is related to me by blood.

Growing up and even to this day people have asked me when I am going to meet my "Real" parents/mother/family.  I used to get pretty defensive and would immediately say "Well, I live with my REAL mom and dad, the people who raise me, care for me, and love me unconditionally.  Some day I will look for my Birth Mother."  Now instead of being defensive I reply by answering politely and just using the terms birth family etc.

Growing up with no one who is blood related to me, has effected the way I see what family really is.  Family isn't just about blood.  I have the best relationship with my mom, closer and more open than many other people I know.  She is my mother and can never be replaced.  I cant imagine wanting anyone else when I am in pain, or when I have good news to share.  Or seeking advice from anyone other than my dad.  My family is pretty small, it consists of my parents, aunt, uncle and some cousins.  It might be small in size but I don't feel it is lacking in any other way.  Another reason I don't feel like I have such a small family is because of the other familial relationships I have.  I have always considered my moms closest friends like extended family.  I believe she has too, considering they were in her wedding, and were the first to greet me at the airport when my parents came back from Colombia 25 summers ago.  I get to see more of them than any of my cousins.  Over the years I have put a lot of time and effort into my relationships, many of my friends calling me their sister and vise versa.  I truly value these friendships as I do the relationships I have with family, after all what is the difference?  The saying "Friends are the family you choose" is more up my ally.  I love and value my friends and my parents friends like I do my family.  If that isn't Real family, I don't know what is.

30 days until Colombia...

No comments:

Post a Comment