Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Adoption Day







26 years from March, I was born.  3 months and 10 days later, 26 years ago from this past Sunday, I was adopted.  For those of you who know my family, or even have read my blog, you know how amazing my parents are.  I truly couldn't be luckier.  Its funny how much can change in a year, while some things are still the same.  Their love and support has been unwavering throughout my entire life.  Last summer at this time, I was gearing up for a life changing journey.  Without their support, I do not know if I would have been so brave. 
In a few weeks I am returning to Colombia, this time to stay with Magnolia and Julieth.  I cant believe this is my life.  I cant believe that I have maintained this new relationship for almost a year and now I get to return and I have a place to stay and people to care for me there.  It is weird still though, and the realization factor is taking a little while to settle in.  The language barrier makes life relating to them more difficult. On my last trip, I became more reserved and shy without being able to communicate.  This trip I am going to try and be more vocal and expressive and show them who and how I am in life.  I am going to speak in English to my nephew and I will do my best with the Spanish.  I have failed at practicing a lot while being home, and have intentions to do better in the future.  Life has a way of getting in the way of that, I work a lot and when I am not there are a million and one other things to do.  I feel bad that I didn't try harder, but at the same time learning language is not an easy feat.  Even if you can read it and understand or even hear it and understand it, communicating it back is a whole other story.  The last time I skyped with Magnolia and Julieth, they mentioned having gifts for me.  Its amazing to me, that they feel the need to give me anything more than they have thus far.  
I tend to romanticize a lot in life, and have been the one to always give more in relationships than has been reciprocated.  With family there is an unconditional love that some of us are fortunate enough to experience.  I have had unconditional love from my family since the day they knew about my existence, and my biological family has really opened their arms, home, and hearts to welcoming me into their lives.  I would not change a thing.

Life is hard, even for the most fortunate of us.  But we have the choice to live in laughter, with family and friends, and surround ourselves with love.  This is how I choose to live, and strive to provide the same for my families here, and in Colombia, and my future family.



No comments:

Post a Comment