Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Learning Experience and An Adventure

I did not have enough sleep last night, and by the time stamp on this blog you will see I probably wont tonight either.  Today was filled with highs and lows, it ended on a high note though and was generally positive.

I woke up to a room mates alarm 30 minutes before I wanted to get up.  No big deal it happens, I just could have used those 30 minutes.  We all ate breakfast or desayuno together, which was a nice start to the day.  At breakfast we decided to do a secret santa type thing for the next week, every day to honor the Colombian valentines day or amigos y amores (I think).  I like this game a lot, and on my bed this afternoon was hershey's kisses with almonds....yummm!

After breakfast 3 of us went to volunteer en el centre del los ninos cielo, an orphanage for blind children.  The total commute was over an hour, and the views of the mountains on the way were breath taking.  I did not bring my camera, but I will be on the bus again to go to all the Museums so look out for the pictures in future posts.  We arrive at the establishment at around 10am, the kids were having snack in the playground.  The school/building is made of cement, and they have a playground, basketball court, and rooms to learn, do art projects, and music classes.  I needed to use the bathroom, and found myself in a pickle because they don't have any toilet paper.  Also the bathrooms were for both genders and there was a boy who seemed to need assistance but was alone in the bathroom.  I realized very quickly that this was not just a school for the blind, but an orphanage for the blind and also mentally challenged children and adolescence.  After dealing with my dilemma,  I met and was speaking with a very small girl, I would have guessed 4 years old, but she told me she was 7.  The same happened with a few other kids who looked 13 but were closer to 18.  This made me quite sad.  While the kids were having snack, I tried to meet and introduce myself to as many as possible.  I planted myself nest to a very sweet boy, who was singing a nice song with his friend.  He wanted to hold my hand and I think just needed to be close to someone else, I enjoyed his spirit and his voice.  After snack we went into a 4th grade class, and were told to just ask questions and let the kids ask us questions in english.  The same the next class with younger kids.  The kids were genuinely excited to hear that I was also from Colombia, and were really sweet.  However, the lack of structure and organization made me uneasy.  I did not really leave at the end of the day feeling like I accomplished much.  I didn't get a sense that it would ever be much different, and the environment made me pretty sad.  I admire the volunteers and the people that work there, I just think it is better for people that are better with spanish than I am at the moment.

I feel asleep on the way back home which was in traffic and with a crazy bus driver who was honking ever 5 minutes, so I know I was exhausted!  Once we were back in the neighborhood starving, Allison (another new volunteer) and I went in search for yoga pants and Arepas.  We found the Arepas, which is like a Colombian version on a grilled cheese, the bread part being corn based.  I did not find yoga pants, and I really am in need of them now.  Hopefully tomorrow I will have better luck!

At 3:30 had my first session with my spanish tutor.  I forget his name, but he was great.  He suggested all sorts of Colombian music for me to listen to and we talked for a while.  He even gave me homework, which I did most of already.  I am seeing him again tomorrow afternoon, and for 30,000 mill pesos (10$) for an hour and a half, its a great deal!  I did feel like a complete beginner though, sigh theres only up from here!

I went to my second session of Bikram (hot) yoga at 6:15, it was a lot harder the second time!  I really enjoy it and it helps with taking my mind off of some difficult thoughts especially after this morning.  I have a feeling I am going to be pretty sore tomorrow, but in a good way.  After yoga I had dinner with my other yogi's.

I decided to accompany another volunteer to a bar about a 10 minute cab ride away.  Every tuesday they have gringo night, and people go there to meet other english speakers, or to practice their english.  I met some native Colombians, some Irish people, a German guy, and some other people from the States.  The other volunteer Danny and I hung out and spoke for a while with the Colombians.  They told me I dance like a Colombian, which I took to be the best compliment ever!  I guess it is in my blood!  We had so much fun, and made it back to the apartment before our 11 o'clock curfew.  The picture below is from our adventure tonight.  It was a really good way to finish the day.  Until next time, buenas noches!


No comments:

Post a Comment