Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Emerald Museum, Secret Friends, and Yom Kippur

Today has been a special day all around, first I was able to sleep in....that didn't happen but I liked having the option.  I got up at 6:45 to help make lunches for the field trip for the blind children.  Then I was able to do my nails, and for anyone who knows me knows this is something I love doing!  After being here for a little bit, I can tell you that Colombian women like to have their nails done.  Who knew? Not to mention that my sister also had her nails painted pretty with an accent nail on each hand when I met her! I was also able to video chat with my dad, and talk to my mom which isn't going to happen here in the mornings much.







Then it was off to the Emerald Museum.  When we arrived the kids weren't there yet, so we took some pictures of the scenery and watched an intro video.











When the kids arrived we took a photo opportunity.


Then we led the kids around to feel the emeralds and other kinds of stones.  Photo opportunity on the way to lunch.


We enjoyed coffee, while the kids ate lunch(with our assistance of course).



When the kids were pretty much finished eating, they prayed, and gave thanks for being able to go to the museum, for the lunch, and the people helping them.  Then they started singing.  It was beautiful, they were all smiling and joining in, taking turns with who was leading.  The joy that these kids have, despite their challenges in life is truly humbling.  I was able to upload one video on this blog but it took a few hours to load so the rest will hopefully load on my facebook.  Here are pictures of the kids singing and a short video of it too.



Click Play to watch this video of one of the kids singing, so cute!!

After enjoying the music we snapped some more photos with each other

We wrapped it up at around 12:30-1, and headed back to the apartment area for lunch.
Waiting outside for a cab

This evening was the last day for a secret santa type game that we were playing for the Colombian Valentines day for friends and loves.  We commenced it by having dinner at a place near by called Crepes and Waffles.....you guessed it, they serve crepes and waffles.  Its really delicious, and everyone agreed to have the dinner at 5 on account that I am fasting for Yom Kippur starting at sun down.  Not only did everyone agree to eat early, but quite a few other volunteers and the program leader are fasting with me tomorrow.  I am moved by people's interest in trying something that they haven't done before, and at their acceptance of my practices.  It speaks to all of their characters, and it will be nice to share the day with them, and have people to break fast with!!

I was Claudia's secret friend! Surprise!! (except she was on to me for the last few days)


Lupe was my secret friend, and I was shocked.  He gave me great gifts throughout the week, ending tonight with 2 dozen coral roses!







To new friends and new experiences! 

No comments:

Post a Comment