Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Mis Amigos

Today was hard to get out of bed, I was so exhausted from this weekend.  It was both emotionally draining and fabulous!  I love the fact that I came here for a purpose greater than myself, being able to give back everyday of the week and then be blessed to spend time with my new found Colombian family is so wonderful.  The people that I work with everyday on these projects are incredible!  We are all here to help out people, and it brings us together in a deep and profound way.  They were the ones who were there when I received the call from Guillermo about Magnolia wanting to meet me.  They are the ones who ask me right when I get home how it went.  The people who hugged me with joy when I got back.  These people are genuinely happy for me, and interested in my journey, and for that I am honored.

This was taken the night I got home from meeting my birthmother and sister.

This is this morning, Danny was leaving :( he is such a nice person.  I am glad that he was there for me through this, and I will miss his presence in the house!


I went back to Hogar, the orphanage today.  Erika and Lupe, pictured above started a project painting the shed there, so we continued that today.  We didn't work directly with the kids today, but they flocked to us.  They were constantly coming up to me and talking to me in spanish, I did alright communicating with them.  All of them were fascinated with my tattoos, and kept asking me what they meant, and touching them.  We broke for lunch, and some kids followed.  They are so sweet and curious, I enjoyed having them around all day.




I look forward to being more hands on with the kids and tutoring them.  When we finished painting I played with a few, here is a girl who would not let go of me.  She was so sweet and I didn't want to say goodbye.



Another boy just came up and hugged me, I realized that these kids have each other but no parents.  Sometimes all they need is affection, and that I can give.  Here I am with an incredible family in the states, and a new found family in Colombia.  I can't help but feel undeserving of it all.  All I can do is enjoy and be thankful for what I have, and give affection to these kids.

When we were done at Hogar awaiting a cab, we snapped this shot (the cows).  So scenic, everyday I try to take in the scenery the views of the mountains, its breathtaking.











Here is a shot I stole from my friend Erika, this is what I am talking about people!!









We got amazing empanadas after we got back to our neighborhood.  I can't say that the Colombian food is good for the waistline, but being that my best friend is a personal trainer I am trying to not stress about what I am eating too much!  Anywho....they were gooooodddd and only like 3 dollars with a drink.  Not too shabby!

After empanadas...


We got back to the apartment and I had a spanish lesson, most of the time was spent explaining the events of this weekend.  I decided to write Magnolia another letter, and Juliet too, maybe even my nephew.  My tutor will correct my attempt at translating them into spanish.  This will be my way of accurately communicating with them who I am.  The language is our main barrier, and I feel that writing them in advance can help.  I might even write out yes or no questions in advance.  I will post all letters and questions & answers when I finish them.

I was too exhausted for much else today, unfortunately I am not sure if I will keep up with the yoga.  If only it were 45 minutes instead of an hour and a half.  By the time I get home and shower, eat dinner, reply to emails, and blog, its past midnight.  So we will see.

Tomorrow we are taking the blind children to the emerald museum.  I am excited to take them out of their element and help them explore all of their senses.  (correction to previous post, some of the blind children are orphans, and others are not)  Good Night!




2 comments:

  1. The food there is all fried! I gained three pounds in ten days between all the (tasty) food and drink!

    ReplyDelete