Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Best First Volunteer Day Ever

Today was my official first day as a volunteer.  I decided to try every volunteer opportunity that Emerging Voices offers this week, so it should make for an interesting blog week.  Today I went to Hogar an orphanage in San Mauricio.  The orphanage work is what I signed up for here in Colombia, and I will likely spend a majority of my weeks volunteering there.  It is a nice facility where kids from infants to some over 18 can learn, live, and play.  We left a little after 8:30 and arrived at the school at 9:45.  It was my first experience riding the public transportation here called Trasmilleno, it costs 1400 pesos each way which is less than 1.25$ for a round trip.  We had to switch buses once on the way there and then catch a shuttle to Hogar.  It will take me a few trips to feel confident on doing it alone.  I arrived to kids playing in the park, and the volunteers that have been working there showed me the shed that they are painting in addition to teaching english.  Erika my new friend and fellow volunteer gave me a tour of the grounds.  There is a bakery that volunteers often help out in, various classrooms, a play ground, and buildings where the kids live.  Today was not a typical day for the volunteers or their students.  They had invited me along to take some of the kids to a mall for lunch and a movie.  We ended up taking 2 kids, and they were so excited to go on this adventure.  While waiting for the taxi to pick us up, I played with the kids that were going on the field trip and got to know them better.  Some other kids gravitated to us and we all played catch.  The kids at Hogar, from the short impression I got seem really friendly, outgoing, and energetic.  The taxis came and we went to the mall.  Our first stop was the Candy store, and these kids went wild.  They were so excited to pick whatever they wanted out, it was contagious.  I bought some of my childhood favorites and suggested they try some of them too.  It was really fun, and I will include some pictures with todays entry.  Next stop was Burger King where we all had some lunch.  Then with our bk crowns, (which Erika and I didn't take off despite the stares until we got back to our apartment later this afternoon) we went to the movies.  We saw Ice Age 4, completely en espaniol.  It was actually pretty helpful to try and figure out what was going on, I enjoyed it and got mostly what was going on.  We dropped the kids off back at Hogar, and I honestly can not wait to see them again.  They were bright, happy, accepting, and smart kids.  At Hogar we as volunteers teach english to kids that are being adopted to the states or anywhere I guess.  I am excited for the work in the upcoming weeks, I am more nervous about remember how to commute there.

We got back to the apartment close to 5, and I met my spanish tutor to schedule a time to meet with him this week.  I have tomorrow afternoon for an hour and a half to start.  I will not be able to take as many lessons as I had hoped, but it will be helpful none the less.  I have also been trying as much as possible to speak when I am out and about.

At 6 I went to a Bikram yoga class.  I have to say it is just what I needed!  For those of you who don't know Bikram yoga is a 90 minute yoga class in a hot studio.  It was completely in spanish and I loved it, the fact that I could not understand all of it helped my mind stay on doing the yoga, verses getting bored and wondering elsewhere.  The class was also helpful for learning words like inhale, exhale, and many body parts.  Afterward I felt energized, and relaxed.  I will be going a lot while I am here.  I needed something to stay centered, and also help get my mind of of this intense, emotional, and exciting trip.

With that I leave you with pictures from today and a word; NAMASTE



No comments:

Post a Comment