Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Here & Not Quite Settled

The trip was quite pleasant, my aunt sent me off with some goodies, and I didn't have a hard time getting through security which was a great relief since packing is always a challenge for me.  I met a fellow 20-something heading to Colombia from boston too, so that was nice to have him to figure stuff out with.  We were both heading to the same place but for completely different reasons, he will be on the coast vacationing and I am on a few missions.  Once we got off the plane in Bogota, got through customs, where they were puzzled by me, exchanged our money into Colombian pesos and got our luggage, my new friend found his ride and left.  I wandered for a while looking for a sign with my name on it and I didn't see it.  I don't know if it was the lack of sleep or my anxiety leading up to that very moment but internally, panic started to set in.  I forgot that I had already saved a note with the program lady's number on it and address of the apartment.  Luckily I soon remembered that and asked someone to use their phone.  He brushed me off quite coldly, but with the nudge of his friendly and compassionate wife, he dialed for me the number.  No answer.  I went back to looking.  People constantly asking me if I need a cab or hotel, walking through a crowd with luggage and still no sign of someone for me.  I asked for help from a very friendly gentleman who works for a hotel and he began to help me, but then had to help an actual customer. When he walked away to help the customer, I spotted my ride.  Relieved I went up to this very friendly woman, we thanked the gentleman when he returned and then caught a cab.  35 minutes and we arrived at the apartment.  I am not yet fully unpacked and I have decided to finish tomorrow.  I have orientation at 3 and nothing to do before.  I have no idea where and what to eat, so I think that will be my big decision for tomorrow before orientation.  I chatted with the people here, and they all seem nice.  It is really weird being here, but I am relieved to have reached the apartment and the people here seem really nice.  My insecurities about the language are still high, but I managed to communicate in my tough situation earlier at the airport, so I am happy that worked out.  Maybe I will be able to sleep all night tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment