Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

New Friends, New Year, and New Goals

I usually do not get homesick at all, but I really enjoy bringing in the Jewish New Year with my family.  I spoke to my parents earlier before they headed to their Rosh Hashana dinner at my aunts, and it was really nice seeing them on face-time!  Something about driving around the neighborhood I would have grown up in last night and not feeling connected to it, made me miss Cambridge my friends and parents.  I always said I didn't quite fit in anywhere, but I do feel at home and comfortable up north.  I think I will always be that "different" person, unique, but I am growing more and more ok with it, even happy about it.

Today was the perfect temperature, not too hot and not cold at all.  I woke up around 9, made some huevos and toast (I should learn the word for toast soon, lol), showered, and then ventured outside.  I went to the market with some of the other volunteers.  I purposely did not bring a lot of cash (pesos) with me, I figure I can do souvenir shopping whenever and I should wait till later in my trip.  I did get 3 pairs of earrings for less than 6 us dollars.  Some are gifts and one pair is for me.  I also got a pair of leg warmers, a pleasant surprise to find those here!  We walked around for a while, they shut down a main street on Sunday's for bicyclists and runners.  People here are pretty active and with the food here I can see the need to be.  I have set a new goal for my trip, and that is to join a gym or do classes somewhere.  After eating Crepes & Waffles last night and my huge meat and carb oriented lunch today, I realized I will feel better if I am working out at least as much as I do at home.  It will help me get out of my head about being here and all of the possibilities good and bad that have to do with my search.  As long as a one month membership is not too expensive I will be getting one.  I also learned that my need to have something sweet at least once a day is part of my Colombian heritage :)  There are pastry and dessert shops on every corner and sweets including an amazing discovery called Arequipe, it is like caramel but less sweet and delicious!

A few weeks before coming to Colombia, I joined a yahoo group for fellow Colombian adoptees and relatives of them.  I commented on a post on the group page, and received an email from a nice woman who is my age, also adopted from Colombia, and just moved to Bogota.  We have been corresponding since and decided to meet this afternoon.  I met her and her husband for lunch around 2.  It was really nice to speak to someone else who understands what its like to be in a country where you would have grown up.  Everyone's story is completely different, but there is also an understanding we have.  I am so lucky to have grown up in such a diverse city, and to have friends from all walks of life.

This will be a good week.  I get to try every volunteer opportunity that Emerging Voices has.  Tomorrow I will be working at the orphanage called Hogar.
Tuesday I will be working with blind children.
Wednesday I will be helping to feed the homeless.
Thursday I will be teaching english to kids at a school called Soacha.
Friday I will be helping female senior citizens through a project titled Abuelitas.

As Rosh Hashana is upon us, I feel really positive about bringing in the new year by helping others.

No comments:

Post a Comment