Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Yom Kippur in Colombia

The most important lesson I have learned regarding religion, was on my trip to Israel with Birthright.  Lior, our guide told us a story about a man who went to temple for the first time on Yom Kippur.  The Rabbi was awaiting the sign from God that everyones sins had been forgiven and the new year could officially begin.  While the people were waiting for the Rabbi to come out and tell them that their sins were forgiven and their new year could begin, they prayed.  The man who had come to the temple for the first time, could not read the prayers, and he did not know the words to say.  Hours passed and the Rabbi still had not come out from his room.  The man in the congregation had a feeling inside his heart and the only way he could express it was to let out a really loud whistle.  Everyone glared at him annoyed with his disruption.  The Rabbi came out and told everyone that they had repented enough and the new year could begin.

I dont know if I told the story the right way, but the point is everyone has their own relationship with their religion and their God if they choose to.  There is no right or wrong way to do things, it is what you want to do and how you feel in your heart.

I am more religious than some people in my family, I believe in God whole heartedly because of the life that I have.  I am supposed to be with the parents I have, and I feel so blessed everyday for that.  It feels too much, meant to be for there not to be a higher power at work.  I also believe in Karma, treat people the way you want to be treated, and do good things for other people when you can.






For the last few years, my family and I have found a body of water and gone there on Yom Kippur.  We put flowers in it, and remember those people that we lost.  I have done this by myself when I lived in florida, and expected to do the same here in Colombia.  To my surprise, 4 other volunteers and the program coordinator wanted to participate.  We started fasting last night, and the other volunteers and I took the day off and rested.  Erica, Alyson, Monika, and I went to a stream close by and bought flowers.  We said peoples names that we lost, and then we said some people who need our thoughts for health and recovery or other things.  It was very calming, serene, and peaceful.  For the first time in a while, I did not get a headache while fasting.




Later we all, minus Monkia went to Papa Johns and indulged in some very non kosher pepperoni pizza.  It was perfect.  I am so happy to have made such great friends here, and to share this with them.  I really needed the day to rest, after all that has happened, and the anxiety leading up to it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment