Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Bitter Sweetness & Inspiration


Today Magnolia and Juliet came over to the volunteer apartment, Magnolia brought some food for us.  We watched the DVD I made, and I gave them a copy to keep.  We said goodbye, it was sad.  I am going to miss them, I grew up and always thought having a sister would be so nice.  Now I have had one for a while and have grown to love her.  Knowing that I can't see her often or when I can see her again is pretty difficult.  I hope to stay in touch with both of them and still am very satisfied with the total experience.



My parents were able to FaceTime with Magnolia and Juliet, which was lovely.  I figured out how to snap this picture...Mia stole the spotlight.  After they left I called my parents back for their wonderful support.  



We got 6 new volunteers over the weekend, and the final 2 arrived today.  They came into the apartment with huge suitcases and one had a cane.  I thought maybe she was injured, and felt for her since we walk everywhere here.  Shortly after saying goodbye to my birth family, and still pretty emotional, I walked into the newbies room and saw tons of stuff for donations.  There are tons of toothbrushes, tooth pastes, pencils, pens, crayons, markers, canes (for the Abuelitas), soccer balls, harmonica's, notebooks, erasers, pencil sharpeners, pairs of shoes, and probably even more that I didn't take note of.  After speaking with them, I found out that this trip is actually their honeymoon, and in lue of gifts from their wedding they requested for their guests to donate goods for this trip.  Their names are Melanie, and Kristy and I have to say I was truly moved by this.  During the first few weeks here, I was constantly aware of the possibility that my life could be any of the people that I am volunteering with.  It was an incredibly humbling experience, and I always had an awareness of my blessed life but now it is on another level.  The fact that these people, took a honeymoon to help the people of my country, and on top of that had all of their guests donate all of these wonderful things to the people at the projects we work at brought me to tears.  I am truly touched, and inspired.  Below is a picture of the newlyweds and their friends Amanda and Brad, behind is just some of the donated goods.  Happy to have met these people during the last few days here.


Tomorrow I am going back to Soacha to teach my last classes there, and I get to be the bearer of some of these gifts....the pictures will be great!



No comments:

Post a Comment