Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Last Day Volunteering


Today was my final day volunteering, I spent it at Hogar with the kids I have been tutoring during my time here.  I also finally got a tour of where the kids sleep.


The walls are painted throughout, I wondered while walking through if other volunteers painted them.  I like that we were able to leave our mark in the orphanage and our art will be there to brighten up the place.


These are the boys beds, and bunks.


Rows and rows of babies cribs, and more than one room of the same.


Halloween decorations were everywhere.



Boys playroom.


Girls playroom.


Toothbrushes in the girls bathroom, there were stalls of showers, and a large common sink.



Girls beds, many more stuffed animals than the boys.



Within the orphanage there is a hair salon, a dentist, and nurses on hand.  Here is the hair salon.


After the tour by my fellow volunteer Rose (thanks!), I got to tutor Luna and Lizandro one last time.  I brought them some of the donated items from the new volunteers, they loved everything.  I feel like I just started getting the hang of this teaching thing and now I am leaving.  I will miss these kids a lot, remember them for a long time.  They also made me cards today, and thanked me for teaching them.  I also made them cards, we stuck with the Halloween theme for our art session. 




These kids are some of the lucky ones that get the opportunity to be adopted, and at the age they are completely aware of that fact.  I believe Lizandro has been in this Hogar for 4 years awaiting the opportunity to be adopted.  They are both bright, hard workers, and happy kids.  I can only hope that I had a positive impact on them and taught them useful things that will help them during their transition to the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment